the narrrators

notes

6.8.13

Values

Has social networking ruined people to some degree? It seems no one has issue being outright rude and cruel and hateful when not in person. In an age where communication is very often in text form this can be quite a dangerous thing for society. Days of the golden rule and respect seem to be a shadow, chivalry a mockery. It frightens me to think we have an entire generation who feel they are not responsible so much of what they do. It is even more frightening there are 30somethings who cement this thinking into them. All of this we scream about society.. Freedom, choice, respect, equality, tolerance... It has to start somewhere but no one wants to step together or even bend. Like the two parties who want the same things yet instead of discussing solutions they bicker about who is more stupid or bigoted. It is a set up for failure. Is that where we are all headed? Ultimate failure? Even if one bends to come to a meeting point the other side never fails to dig in their heels and focus on irrelevance.  Nothing accomplished but continued opposition. It gets old. It gets tiring. What am I supposed to tell my kids? I try to be honest with them on all fronts, they know what I do and how society feels about it. They know I have to take precautions for their safety. I also try to tell them how people can be but it is so hard. I don't want them to be jaded. Even after all I have been through there is still faith in me somewhere. It is small and pushed in a tiny corner of me but it is there. It is me, my core, and will never go away. I will always see good in even those who have wronged me past the point of no return. Even when they go against everything they ever said to me and have shown their true ways. The sadness will pass and I will dig it out and find light there again but not today. Not allowing ourselves or others to feel their feelings and respecting them is something no longer valued by people it seems. This is something I will instill in my daughters. This trait will bring a natural compassion beyond measure. But two little girls are not enough. Not when so many raising other little souls to believe the opposite. I am sad most for my daughters. I know there is nothing I can do about what they will encounter in this light. I know I cannot protect them from these hurts and I know they will experience them. I know they will be kicked while they are down, if not a few times, as this painful truth has been done to me so recently. I never before thought people were truly capable to the magnitude it was brought but it is so. I can see why people would want Internet regulation and I can see why it should not be done. It is a matter of values and morals in the end. When people no longer care for such things where are we then? 

No comments: